Get started with Zoom
On this page:
- Create an account
- Customize your personal meeting ID
- Create a recurring meeting
- Invite participants to your meeting
- Join a Zoom meeting
Create an account
- If you plan to manage departmental meetings in Zoom, see Manage departmental meetings in Zoom.
- If you already have a personal Zoom account with your IU address, you will need to terminate it before you can create an IU Zoom account.
Students, faculty, and staff may create Zoom accounts. You must create a Zoom account before others can add you as a contact. To set up a Zoom account:
- Go to https://zoom.iu.edu/.
- Click and log in with your IU username and passphrase. Your Zoom account will be created.
You will be taken to your Zoom profile page. From the menu on the left, you can schedule meetings, view your meeting recordings, and update your Zoom profile. You can access these features in the future by going to https://zoom.iu.edu/ and clicking .
Customize your personal meeting ID
When you create a Zoom account, you're automatically assigned a Personal Meeting ID. If you wish, you can edit this to a number you'll find easy to remember, such as your phone number. You can also use a Personal Link (that is, a URL incorporating a meaningful word or phrase, sometimes called a vanity URL), but some functionality may be unavailable. For example, some videoconferencing equipment requires that meeting attendees enter a string of numbers rather than letters, and Zoom's Canvas integration will not work with a Personal Link.
Note that if Zoombombing is a concern, it may be more secure to use an automatically generated meeting ID rather than a customized one. For more about Zoom security, see Prevent Zoombombing using Zoom privacy and security features.
For help editing your Personal Meeting ID, see What Is My Personal Meeting ID (PMI) And Personal Link?
Create a recurring meeting
UITS recommends creating at least one recurring Zoom meeting, especially if you want to use Zoom as an external tool in your Canvas course.
To set up a recurring standard meeting:
- Log into zoom.iu.edu.
- From the left menu, select .
- Click .
- Adjust the following settings:
- Topic: A meeting topic (for example, "Recurring Meeting")
- Recurring meeting: Check the box and change the selection for "Recurrence" to .
- Adjust any other settings as desired.
- Click .
Invite participants to your meeting
To invite others to your recurring meeting, do either of the following:
- Share the default invitation text. To find it, view the settings for your meeting (click the name of the meeting if necessary), and to the right of the "Invite Attendees" row, click .
- Share the meeting's join URL with your participants. To find it, while viewing the settings for your meeting, look immediately to the right of "Invite Attendees". The join URL will be in the format
https://iu.zoom.us/j/1234567890.Note:Hosts may also access their own meetings using the join URL.
Join a Zoom meeting
For instructions, see Join a Zoom meeting.