About closed captioning in Zoom
On this page:
- Caption recorded Zoom meetings with Kaltura
- Use closed captions in a Zoom meeting
- Recommended vendor for professional live captions in Zoom meetings
Caption recorded Zoom meetings with Kaltura
To caption Zoom meeting recordings, upload them to Kaltura. All Kaltura videos are automatically machine captioned (nominally 80-85% accurate). You can use Kaltura's interface to edit captions or order professional captions; see Download and edit captions or transcripts in Kaltura.
Use closed captions in a Zoom meeting
For details about using closed captions in a Zoom meeting, see Using closed captioning.
Recommended vendor for professional live captions in Zoom meetings
For professional live closed captioning, the Indiana University Adaptive Technology and Accessibility Centers recommend using Alternative Communication Services. Alternative Communication Services does not require a contract. To access the service, you must set up an account.
Once you have an account, you can schedule live closed captioning. To activate live closed captioning in your Zoom meeting:
- Open your meeting room. At the bottom, click the icon.
- Assign the person from ACS to type in the Closed Caption pod by clicking , hovering over the captioner's name, and selecting .
- To ensure that the professional closed captioning is saved with the meeting recording, share the captioning window as part of the shared desktop.